My research interest are in applied microeconomics economics and rigorous evaluation based on econometric theory. My current research studies the bi-directional relationship between poverty and mental health. In addition, I am interested in the dynamics of poverty and the interaction of psychology, decision-making, and poverty traps.
I am interested in collaboration on different topics related to poverty; health and well-being; crime and violence; behavioral and experimental economics; applied econometrics; urban and labor economics. Feel free to contact me!
Google Scholar Page.
- Neighborhood Violence, Poverty, and Psychological Well-being (2022). Journal of Development Economics (154) 102756
(with Jeffrey Bloem)—access here.
- Income Improves Subjective Well-Being: Evidence from South Africa. Forthcoming in Economic Development and Cultural Change
(with Steve Wu)–final draft available here.
- Do Shocks and Environmental Factors Shape Personality Traits? Evidence from the Ultra-Poor in Uganda. Accepted at Journal of Development Studies.
(with Sikhar Mehra and Yaniv Stopnitzky)
- Economic Life in Refugee Camps (2017). World Development (95) 334-347
(with J. Ed Taylor, Anubhab Gupta, Irvin Rojas, & Ernesto Gonzalez)–access here.
- Economic Impact of Refugees (2016). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113(27) 7449–7453
(with J. Ed Taylor, Mateusz Filipski, Anubhab Gupta, Irvin Rojas, & Ernesto Gonzalez)–open access here.
- Informality and Exclusion: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee data for Lebanon and Syria (2013). IZA Journal of Labor Policy 2(18)
(with Roberta Gatti, Joana Silva, & Carole Chartouni)–open access here.
- Income, Psychological Well-being, and the Dynamics of Poverty
- Revise and Resubmit at Economics Development and Cultural Change. Latest draft available here (updated March 2022).
- Social Protection Amid a Crisis: New Evidence from South Africa’s Older Person’s Grant (with Jeffrey Bloem & Jonathan Malacarne)
- Under Review. Draft available here (updated June 2022)
- The Psychological Toll of Food Insecurity (with Jeffrey Bloem)
- Revise and Resubmit at Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. Draft available here (updated August 2022).
- Measuring Resilience: The Role of Psychological Well-being
- Predictors of Animosity Towards Refugees: Evidence from Lebanon’s Poor (With Jennifer Fleming, Rene Solano, Jumana ElAref, & Haneen El-Sayed)
- Psychological Resilience and Poverty Dynamics
Poverty and Corporal Punishment
(with Susan Godlonton and Emily Conover)
Empirical Tests for Poverty Traps: What works?
(with Michael Carter)