My research interest are in applied microeconomics economics and rigorous evaluation based on econometric theory. My current research studies the bi-directional relationship between poverty and mental health. In addition, I am interested in the dynamics of poverty and the interaction of psychology, decision-making, and poverty traps.
I am interested in collaboration on different topics related to poverty; health and well-being; crime and violence; behavioral and experimental economics; applied econometrics; urban and labor economics. Feel free to contact me!
Google Scholar Page.
- Income, Psychological Well-being, and the Dynamics of Poverty
- Under Review. Latest draft available here – Updated June 2021
- Neighborhood Violence, Poverty, and Psychological Well-being (with Jeffrey Bloem)
- Resubmitted at Journal of Development Economics. Draft available here (updated June 2021)
- Personality Traits and Economic Shocks among the Ultra-poor (with Sikhar Mehra and Yaniv Stopnitzky)
- Under Review. Draft available upon request.
- The Psychological Tolls of Food Insecurity (with Jeffrey Bloem)
- Measuring Resilience: The Role of Psychological Well-being (with Michael Carter)
- Predictors of Animosity Towards Refugees: Evidence from Lebanon’s Poor (With Jennifer Fleming, Rene Solano, Jumana ElAref, & Haneen El-Sayed)
- Psychological Resilience and Poverty Dynamics
Income Improves Subjective Well-Being: Evidence from South Africa. Forthcoming in Economic Development and Cultural Change
(with Steve Wu)
Final draft available here.
Economic Life in Refugee Camps (2017). World Development (95) 334-347
(with J. Ed Taylor, Anubhab Gupta, Irvin Rojas, & Ernesto Gonzalez)
Economic Impact of Refugees (2016). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113(27) 7449–7453
(with J. Ed Taylor, Mateusz Filipski, Anubhab Gupta, Irvin Rojas, & Ernesto Gonzalez)
open access here
Informality and Exclusion: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee data for Lebanon and Syria (2013). IZA Journal of Labor Policy 2(18)
(with Roberta Gatti, Joana Silva, & Carole Chartouni)
open access here
Poverty and Corporal Punishment
(with Susan Godlonton and Emily Conover)
Empirical Tests for Poverty Traps: What works?
(with Michael Carter)
Does Geographical Location Predict Happiness?